Just a few miles down the road the famed Cliffs of Moher you’ll find the seaside town of Lahinch (also spelled Lehinch). I found this place on my first to Ireland when I asked a favorite waitress at our hotel where she would go if she could take a week and she told us about the great memories of family holidays when she was a kid. “It’s windy” She warned us, “Very windy, but if you don’t mind a little wind and rain it’ll be grande.”
We spent a week there in a really nice, modern, 3 bedroom condo that sat at the bottom of the hill on the 2nd floor, so we could sit around the living room windows and look down on the entertaining activity on the steep hilled road that the town is built on. Lahinch is well known for two things; Surfing and Hen n Stag parties. They even have the hashtag #SurfCity on their town’s sign and though they’ve discouraged the more out of control versions of ’em, the better behaved Stags and Hens (bachelor and bachelorette’s) are still encouraged to celebrate there which makes for great people watching.
Lahinch is another friendly town with a lot packed into the steep hill it’s based on; clothing shops, hotels, pubs, gifts, pharmacy, tourism and leisure center, a world class golf course, a beach promenade to stroll on, surfing lessons and kayak rentals. It has some great live music coming from Kenny’s. I’ve yet to make it up late enough to catch a show myself, but I’ve seen tapings and am determined to make at least one show on the next update.
Places to stay.
- The Dell vacation rental – if garage parking
- Lahinch Golf & Leisure Hotel – They have a pool, jacuzzi, steam and dry sauna and workout room and private parking lot
- Falls Hotel & Spa – closer to Ennistymon, but if you’re wanting spa getaway close to Lahinch, this is it and they have donkeys
Places to eat, drink and be merry.
- The Captain’s Table – Fresh seafood, great views from the upstairs dining and lovely people who run it.
- Kenny’s – You must get the lamb taco and come back for the live music~
Things to do.
- Go Kayaking
- Take Surf lessons
- Visit the Moher Hill Open Farm
- St. Bridgid’s well
- Beach walk for miles and miles
- Visit the shops
- Get a 99 at the ice cream shop
- Take a yoga class
- Walk over to Ennistymon to visit the shops, bakery and pet the donkeys at their sanctuary (drive there for grocery shopping –
- Play golf